What We Do
Teaching programme


For up-to-date information, please check the UdK website:

General questions:

What can I study in the JIB?

The JIB offers three sets of courses:

1. Bachelor of Music (Jazz)
2. Master of Music (Jazz)
3. EUJAM - European Jazz Master

Bachelor of Music (Jazz):

This is purely a performance course. It is designed for musicians who want to go into the music business as performers (concerts/ studio/ big band/ orchestra).

Master of Music (Jazz):

This course is designed for musicians who have already successfully completed a Bachelor or Diploma course. It serves the further development of the student’s individual artistic identity.

EUJAM - European Jazz Master

Eujam is a joint masters degree programme offered by the conservatories of Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Paris and Trondheim.
This programme is especially designed for talented contemporary jazz performers who want to stay at the forefront of development in music, culture and business.

Is the JIB purely a jazz school?

Jazz today comprises a mixture of varying styles and therefore it is natural that different styles are included in the classes offered.

Which instruments can be studied?

Every instrument can be studied in the JIB, provided the criteria of the entrance examinations are fulfilled. The breadth of tuition on offer can be seen in the list of teachers. The JIB will seek to find an acceptable solution in the case of unusual instrument combinations.

Can I study singing in the JIB?

Singing is treated as an instrumental major subject in the JIB and can therefore be studied.

Are there other sets of courses in the JIB besides the study of the major instrument?

The JIB only offers courses which include instrumental tuition.

Is it possible to learn more than one instrument in the JIB?

Each curriculum requires the study of one major instrument.
The Bachelor curriculum includes piano lessons and one other instrumental subject. The JIB makes recommendations as to which additional instrument to choose.

Must I play more than one instrument to study in the JIB?

Apart from mastery of the major instrument, basic piano skills will be tested.

How long does a course in the JIB last?

The Bachelor course last eight semesters as a rule, two semesters in the case of the Master courses.


Which qualifications can be achieved?

The JIB offers the following qualifications, which are recognised throughout Europe:
1. Bachelor of Music (Jazz)
2. Master of Music (Jazz)

What title will I have on completion of my studies?

You obtain the title Bachelor of Music (Jazz) or Master of Music (Jazz).

Are these qualifications officially recognised by the State?

The attainable qualifications are recognised by the German State and internationally.

Can I also obtain a German Diploma qualification in the JIB?

No, only Bachelor and Master qualifications are possible.

Is it possible to acknowledge credits gained elsewhere?

The recognition of academic achievements should be made easier with the awarding of ECTS-credits. The entrance examination board decides whether these achievements conform to the requirements of the relevant curriculum.

Admission, entrance requirements:

What requirements must I fulfil to obtain a place in the JIB?

The formal prerequisite for participation in the admission procedure is the submission of an application form. The current information regarding application formalities (deadlines, dates, fees, etc.) can be found in the website. The advisor of studies is available to answer any further questions.

What school-leaving certificate must I have to study in the JIB?

In general, you must have fulfilled compulsory education.

I have already completed music studies in Germany. Are the requirements for me the same as for all others?

All candidates undergo the same admission procedure.

I am not from Germany. Do other regulations apply to me?

For admission to the BA/ MA the same criteria apply to foreign candidates. Other guidelines may apply for guest students. Please consult the advisor of studies.

Is it necessary to know German to begin studies?

Foreign students are required to prove they have sufficient knowledge of the German language, minimum requirement by the application deadline is a certificate equivalent to the ”Zertifikat Deutsch“ (ZD) or completion of the A2 level.
Requirement up to the imatriculation date is a certificate equivalent to the Zentrale Mittelstufenprüfung (ZMP) or completion of the B2 level. This is only necessary for the Bachelor-studies.
For information about other exemptions, contact the Akademisches Auslandsamt (academic international office).
These requirements do not apply to international applicants with a German school qualification.
For applicants from the PR China there is a special visa procedure. Please contact the Akademische Prüfstelle APS at the German embassy in Beijing. Further information and forms can be found at

Where do I get a study visa?

Candidates from a country that requires a visa can obtain an entry visa from any German consulate on production of the invitation to the entrance examination. The checking of the visa application is in the hands of the appropriate authorities.

How high are the tuition fees?

The introduction of tuition fees is the responsibility of the individual German states.
There are currently no tuition fees in the state of Berlin.

What other fees are there?

On matriculation there is a semester contribution to pay. The general study advisors of the UdK can tell you how much this is at the moment.

When do the courses in the JIB begin?

For first semester students the courses begin in the winter semester.

When is the deadline for applications?

The application deadline is the 15.03. of the current year.

In which institution will I be matriculated? UdK or HfM?

All students will be doubly matriculated. For administrative purposes new students will be listed at the UdK Berlin.

Study schedule:

Which courses will I have in my (first) semester?

Please consult the tabular overview of the study schedule.

to the study schedule

Does the JIB also offer instrumental tuition to those interested in jazz who do not want to study?

This is not possible.

Are there summer courses in the JIB?

At the present time there are no courses outside the semester times.


How high are the living costs for students in Berlin?

Statistically, Berlin currently has moderate living costs, compared with other German cities.

Does the JIB have a student hall of residence?


Is it possible to visit the JIB?

Visits should be made by arrangement with the JIB-coodination, who will arrange contact with members of the teaching staff.

I have further questions concerning studies. Whom should I consult?

The student advisors of the UdK: